Pin It

Friday, August 24, 2012

My First Bees.

Under the small oak tree on the right sits a white bee hive box.
With the big ole Texas sky over head and majestic century old oak all around 
and my friend, Charlene's organic garden to the right.
 I think this would be heaven for my new bees.
Image via me.
Back in March, I attended an all day Bee School and took tons of notes. Since then, I think I've watched every YouTube video on beekeeping ever uploaded.
Image via Michael Kelling
In the garage wall of my Great Aunt's house, is a hive of bees that has lived there for about 15 years.
 With the help of Michael Keeling, the president of the Central Texas Beekeepers Association
I removed this hive on Wednesday.  Michael walked me through each step and took pictures along the way.
This is what we found when we removed the first sheet of Masonite board.
Image via Michael Kelling
This is what we found when we removed the second sheet.  WOW!!!
Luckily it wasn't 100 degrees that day, we were in the shade and on the ground and not a ladder.
Image via Michael Kelling
This is me (I still can't believe I did this) cutting the parts of the hive that had the baby bees in it.
This part is called the brood.  I cut it to fit in the frames and then slid large rubber bands across to keep it from falling out.  I then slid the frames into the white hive box like a file cabinet.
Image via Michael Kelling
All of the honey comb went into a large plastic box, the kind you use for Christmas storage, and all of the old wax comb that the bees didn't use anymore, went into trash bags and is now in my freezer for me to deal with another day.  Most all of the bees and the queen are now in the hive box.  We had to vacuum them up with the shop vac on the left that uses a specialized box that is a bee filter, so no bees go into the vac.
Image via Me.
Here is some of the golden honey I lovingly crushed by hand and strained through my pantyhose,
 new package of course.  I got about 2.5 gallons of raw honey from this hive.  
Raw honey means it has pollen in it, and that is what cures you from seasonal allergies.
11 bee stings total and I survived, I guess I can officially say that I am now a beekeeper.
Enjoy, Heidi


4 comments:

Kimberlee @ Brown Button said...

um, WOW. no, DOUBLE WOW! what an awesome achievement lovely lady. and look at your honey? love your new pursuits xxx

Lumen Drops said...

Beautiful country, the setting you've chosen for your beehive. I plan to try raw honey next spring for seasonal allergies. This year was really bad in Virginia.
Very interesting post!

A-M said...

You are so very clever. Go get that honey love! A-M xx

Shauna said...

Oh now that is super cool!!!