Pin It

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Rammed Earth or Straw Bales?

I found these images over at Nest Egg, one of my new favorite blogs. They are from one of her clients (her client has great taste, by the way). You all know that I am a nut for High/Exposed ceilings, but the issue I have been pondering lately is can I build my dream home like this but with rammed earth walls or even straw bale walls? Maybe one of you know a little bit about this. I have searched the net and researched the subject, but it is not as popular around here.
I watched Jamie Durie (love him, thank you Australia) do a job with rammed earth in California and the construction crew didn't have a clue. Come on America, we need to get with the picture and use sustainable resources. I will try my damnedest to make earth friendly living absolutely fabulous. Hope you all have a playful or relaxing or both, weekend. Love, Heidi


All images on this post were found on Nest Egg.

11 comments:

Angie said...

I LOVE Jamie Durie Too!!! Wish I could have him swing over to my home and create a fabulous backyard!

Shauna said...

My husband and I want to build his next garage/shop using the bales. I can't remember where I saw the information; but it was a while ago. I've never seen any buildings done that way yet though (Ontario Canada).

Simone said...

What a fabulous space, wow!

Off to check out that blog right now!

Hope things are good with you Heidi :)

Lilla Kullan ♥ said...

What a lovely place. I like it.:-) Stina

M.Kate said...

They are beautiful and I can stay there forever.

Millie said...

We have quite a few of both building styles displayed in houses around the Adelaide Hills Heides, as we do attract some 'alternate' folk who want to build on acreage. They are apparently fab places to live in - cool in Summer & warm in Winter. Would be perfect for your Clare Valley house.
Millie ^_^

ashlina said...

beautiful beautiful beautiful spaces..wow. i havent seen places like that in a long while...

love your blog by the way...

Alkemie said...

The middle photo is my favorite! Great images.

I also LOVE Jamie Durie's work :)

Cheers,
Karen O.

A-M said...

Aahh Jamie. Is there anything that man can't do? He is certainly on the rise now that Oprah has found him! A-M xx

donna baker said...

I saw Jaime Durie do a back flip on Victory Garden. And, I fell in love with giraffes after seeing a TV special on that place. I so wish I could go. I am really an animal in a human body.

Jacqueline said...

Hey Heidi,
If you google Grand designs straw bales, they have a bit about houses built with straw bales. It might be interesting for you.This was a programme here in the U.K. and they did quite a few homes like this and many eco friendly houses.
iiiI love the home you have shown. XXXX